Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Pita

After reading several posts by fellow bloggers who had all had success with making Pita bread, I decided to give it a go too. I tried a couple of recipes and ... no success, no puffing, no browning, too much browning ... cardboard discs that we could've used as frisbees at the park.

The recipe I did have some success with was from Sugarlaws. Four out of six pitas were perfect, and I figured that was great - better than the luck I'd had so far. And I also realized it was something I wasn't doing right. The oven has to be really really hot - with the baking sheet heated with the oven. I use a small toaster oven and it definitely doesn't get as hot as a regular oven.


Having said that, I loved these and it was so good to be able to eat pita again after ages - since we just can't get them in the grocery stores here.

Pita Bread
(original recipe from Sugarlaws)

2 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 cup Warm Water
2 tsp Yeast
1 pinch Sugar
1 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Sesame Seeds
2 tbsp Olive Oil

Mix yeast, water and sugar and allow it to rest for 10 minutes until frothy.

In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt, oil, sesame seeds and yeast mixture until combined. Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes until smooth and not sticky.

Divide the dough into 6 parts. Roll each part into a ball with slightly oiled hands. Cover with saran wrap and allow to double in size (approximately 1-2 hours).

Preheat oven to 220 deg C.

Punch down the risen dough to flatten and press the dough into the desired thickness (I used a rolling pin to make them the same width - this helps them to puff up uniformly).


Bake for 12 minutes until puffed and golden. I served it with stuffed with a sprouted lentil and chutney salad.


My fellow marathoners have been running non-stop! Here's what they've been up to - check out the links:
DK, Siri, Srivalli, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha, Divya, Lakshmi, Raaga, Lakshmi, Sripriya, Viji, Kamalika and Pavani.

23 comments:

Raaga said...

absolutely great!

:-)

Let me rub a little salt into your wounds though... even our local temporary shop selling eggs and bread sells Pita :-)

Lakshmi Venkatesh said...

Pita Looks great and delicious. It has puffed up real great.

Priya said...

Wow wat a lovely puffed pita bread...looks great anu..

Curry Leaf said...

I too does not have any success with pita.Always buy them.Yours look lovely and perfect.

lakshmi said...

you know what i do? make them on the tawa/ direct flame like we make phulkas except the dough is like yeasted dough :D

my oven has a turntable and i can barely bake like 2 small ones at a time - its less time consuming if i follow the phulka method - i get spotted pitas though

Usha said...

I have been wanting to try making pitas for some time now too, yours looks yum..

raaji said...

hey anu ive seen divya making naan today.....eve that calls for the same ingredints and procedure...i dont understand the difference.....

Vanamala said...

oh wow gr8 recipe..nice pics

Medhaa said...

that has puffed up beautifuly looks perfect. thanks for sharing

Madhu said...

every day i come here, its a treat.
Home made is always the best, last pic is soo tempting.

Sunshinemom said...

Lovely pockets! Healthy filling I see:)

kamala said...

Puffed up beautifully Anu..Like the idea of Lakshmi using stove top

Ranjani said...

The pita sandwich looks phenomenal...I had a god awful meeting that run through lunch....starving now when I see your blog...it isn't fair u know...!

TS said...

I like your idea of the filling for the pita...how healthy!
Your pita bread looks wonderful....just make pita chips out of the ones that didn't make the cut. *spray with a little oil, garlic and chili powder and bake till crisp*.

cheers,trupti
the spice who loved me

anudivya said...

That looks pretty neat! And nicely stuffed... :) Looks healthy.

Vibaas said...

looks yum...my.

Pearlsofeast said...

Arundhati,u pitas have come out like store brought.Very nice.

Srivalli said...

How wonderful Anu...reminds me of our lnch...:)...The list of things you got to make for me is getting bigger everyday heheh...

karuna said...

this looks really good. loved the pic where its bulging away.....a m ust try. just joined the marathon and just bookmarked this. i have to try it out.

SriLekha said...

Join in the Sweet Event going in my blog!
http://srishkitchen.blogspot.com/2008/11/efm-event-for-month-november-with-theme.html

Bhawana said...

good one, I have not yet tried this. looks delicious.

Arundathi said...

thanks everyone! :-)

raaga - terribly lucky!

Lakshmi - what a great idea with the tawa!

Raaji - naan is far thicker than pita - pits are more like baked puris

Trupti - thanks - that sounds delicious! a good use of the leftovers.

Roopa said...

That is awesome!!